On the 1st Day of April...

 Sunday, April 1, 2012


I warn you in advance~this post will be very long because I don't feel like doing separate posts today and I have a lot to say :)


This week I have been trying to be a better homemaking wife. Sometimes it gets crazy with work and school but this week we've done a pretty good job with keeping the house clean. I did the grocery shopping. James and I are making a commitment to not eat ice cream again until April 15th (random day he picked). I made James one of his favorite dinners: Taco Salad. 
Taco seasoned ground beef (or turkey), crushed tortilla chips, lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded taco cheese, & Pace chunky salsa. 
James LOVES this because it's quick, easy, & healthy :)
He loves it so much that he's asked me to make it for lunch tomorrow.


In other efforts to be a homemaker...
I made this for Easter:
I found the printable online, but I don't remember from where. It's a twist on the lyrics from one of my favorite hymns I Know That My Redeemer Lives
Looking at this everyday reminds me of the true reason why we celebrate Easter; to celebrate the Resurrection & the life of our Savior, Jesus Christ. 
I know that my Redeemer lives! 

Friday, March 30th Events

*Shout-out to my brother-in-law Jason Chapman! Happy Birthday! Hope it was fantastic :) 

*I was offered the 30 hour teller position at Chase bank because one of the tellers left. 
Chase
I accepted! Instead of working my 22 hours at Chase I will work 30+ hours! I put in my two weeks notice at Celebrity Tanning. It will be nice to have only one job to concentrate on along with school instead of 2 jobs! It just made sense to accept this opportunity and James and I are excited for it!

*For Date Night James and I went to Outback Steakhouse because we had the coupon for buy 1 entree get the second one free! 
Outback
I ordered the Ribs & Chicken of the Barbie
 
1/3 rack of baby back ribs and a wood-fire grilled chicken breast. Served with Aussie Fries.

James ordered the Alice Springs Chicken
Wood-fire grilled chicken breast topped with sautéed mushrooms, crisp bacon, melted Monterey Jack and Cheddar and finished with our honey mustard sauce. Served with Aussie Fries.

After dinner we headed over to 
Sprouts-logo-294x195
This market's produce is amazing! We got some bananas, green beans, zucchini, squash, & carrots. They had fruits & vegetables there that I'd never heard of & some that I've forgotten even exist! We wanted to buy everything there.

We decided to just Redbox a movie and decided on 
Super 8 is one of those movies that you are glad you waited to rent at redbox  instead of paying for it at the theater. I remember it was pretty hyped up when it first came out in the theater. Don't get me wrong, we really liked the movie; it was a good story & the actors did a good job. James compared it to The Goonies, LOST, & E.T. We're glad we saw it.

Saturday = Last Day of March Already???

GENERAL CONFERENCE WEEKEND

Unfortunately I had to work at Celebrity Tanning 9-6 on Saturday so I was unable to watch Conference. I did read the April issue of the Ensign when I wasn't helping customers, so I was able to read the words of the prophets. 
Ensign
James went to the Priesthood session of Conference, & he reported back that it was excellent. He loved Elder David A. Bednar's talk.
We were starving so we hit up Firehouse Subs with Than & Ixchel.

Firehouse Subs
After, we hung out with their adorable baby Rex.
James and I played with him & I even fed him a tiny bottle! 
We also watched this movie:
Reasons why James liked this movie:
-Based on a true story
-Story about sports (baseball)
-Jonah Hill & Brad Pitt had some humorous lines
-Other reasons that I can't think of right now
Reasons why I liked this movie:
-Based on a true story
-Brad Pitt
Needless to say I think James liked this movie a lot more than I did :)

April 1st Events

At 9:20am eastern time my great-grandmother Edith Daisy Jansky passed away. She lived to be 105 years old. Yes, 105! That woman was "hip & with it" until 104. She turned 105 at the end of February and then started to slowly decline. We are happy that she lived a full life & that she is now in a better place. Thanks Gray-Nana for some really great memories!
I especially remember that she use to give Peter & me "goody bags." These were zip-lock bags filled with Hershey's Kisses & other candies along with mini painted ceramic figurines from Rose Tea Wade England Circus Premium Figurines. These came in boxes of Rose Tea. I am sure I still have at least one figurine somewhere in my boxes of memorabilia. 
Wades painted ceramic collectibles. came free in certain boxes of tea. Gray Nana (great grandma) gave these to us when we were little in our goody bags filled with candy like hershey's kisses.

It was wonderful to hear the Sunday sessions of the 182nd Annual General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I noticed that the morning session had a lot of talks given about death & the Plan of Salvation & about spirits in bodies that are less than ideal. My mom & I pointed out that these were all interesting talks given that Gray Nana went home this morning to our Father in Heaven. Elder Russell M. Nelson talked about how our physical bodies & spirits are gifts. He spoke of Christ's Resurrection & how one day our bodies & spirits will be reunited after death. I love the hopeful Easter message of peace & love that the Resurrection of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ brings this season.
P.S. I also loved President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's message
forgive, even yourself
In the Sunday afternoon session I really enjoyed Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk on strengthening our homes & families in this life. Those families who attend church regularly have a lower divorce rate, they are happier, they are healthier, they are more successful financially, and they live longer. It is important to prioritize your life so that you can strengthen the home & protect your families from the evils of the world. I will strive to become more Christlike & live righteously so that I can return to live with my Heavenly Father.
I can't wait to watch Saturday's sessions of Conference & ponder the talks in more depth when the Conference issue of the Ensign comes out soon. To watch General Conference go here:

I have so many fond memories of General Conference. My first experience with General Conference that I can remember was when I was a little girl and I remember the prophet or an apostle speaking and feeling warm inside, "like warm maple & brown sugar oatmeal." I realize now that the warm feeling I experienced in my heart was the Holy Ghost bearing witness to me of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Growing up we also ate Peanut M&Ms and Crispy M&Ms during Conference to help us pay attention. We played General Conference Bingo.

General Conference activities - Lots of ideas

I remember when I was in classes at BYU-Idaho one of my roommates was friends with an older couple who lived in Idaho Falls (I think) & we drove to their house to watch General Conference and enjoyed a nice home-cooked meal. It was nice to feel like we were with family even though we had just met the couple. I think I recall my roommate Hannah being pulled over for speeding on the way back so that we could make it in time for the Sunday afternoon session! If that didn't happen then maybe she just told us a story about that? Haha. Good times!
BYU-Idaho Roommates 2008-2009
Hannah, Katie, Georgie, Betsy, Mimi
then
Hannah, Katie, Georgie, Alex, & Jessica
LOVE THESE MEMORIES!!!

I also remember when James and I were dating (or maybe we were engaged) in Provo at BYU we had a General Conference breakfast at our good friend Collin Grant's house with our friends & roommates. Pancakes & Bacon & Cinnamon Rolls & General Conference? Best morning ever! 
I almost made cinnamon rolls this morning for Conference but I ended up just eating Honey Graham Oh's Cereal :)
Pinned Image

Last but not least, I'm making this for dinner:
with zucchini & squash

I'm making this for dessert:

I'll post the recipes & results after we eat! 
Until then, thanks for reading this long post! 
:)





1 comments:

Kara April 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM  

sounds like you two are a busy pair! I agree, General Conference was AMAZING!! And let me know how those recipes are...I'm always looking for new recipes to try!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP